The financial services industry is under pressure from several areas. The decade-long financial crisis is still being reflected by uncertainty in the financial and banking sector. Additional challenges are posed by extensive reforms related to tax and company law and regulation, including reporting and capital adequacy requirements.
BDO’s Financial Services Practice helps clients in the financial services sector succeed in a changing landscape that is marked by regulatory reform, sustainability aspects, disruptive technology, and new service-delivery channels.
Our services - including governance, risk, compliance, business process reviews and more - are tailored to meet the unique needs of financial services organisations. Across all of these segments, BDO brings an in-depth understanding of the complexities of the financial services industry and the unique challenges facing our clients’ businesses.
Many banks, asset managers and insurers are rethinking their business models in light of regulatory and economic changes. They are focused on sustainable net income, given the low-yield investment environment.
As financial services providers seek to secure profitable growth, enter new markets, make use of disruptive technology and rationalize non-core operations, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) are an increasingly important element of the overall strategy.
M&A activity in the financial services sector remains robust. Ongoing consolidation in mature markets, and continued expansion in high growth economies, combined with a focus on securing new distribution, are driving deal activity. In addition, regulators, shareholders and other stakeholders are placing increased demands on financial institutions, which leads to more restructuring and M&A transactions.
We combine our extensive M&A transaction and market experience with the high seniority of our teams, to be well-placed to assist financial services clients and financial investors in developing and executing their M&A strategy.
In particular, our Financial Services Advisory services include:
- Business valuation, fairness opinion
- Purchase price allocation (PPA), impairment test
- Valuation of credit and insurance portfolios, funds
- Due diligence (financial, regulatory, real estate, tax, legal)
- Transaction advisory, negotiation support
- Post merger integration and separation advisory
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Buy-side and sell-side lead advisory, IPO advisory
- Financial fact book, information memorandum
- Strategic business review
Restructuring & Special Situations
- Recovery and resolution plans (RRP), independent reviews
- Portfolio advisory, distressed assets
- Program management, project office support
- Business plans, regulatory approval proceedings
- Establishment/relocation of financial institutions
- Business model analysis and internal governance (SREP)